|Spinach and Roasted Chestnuts|
- 8 oz whole chestnuts, unshelled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 12 oz spinach, stems trimmed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat an over to 400 degrees F
- Using a sharp knife, cut an X in the flat side of each chestnut and spread the nuts in the bottom of a roasting pan. Roast until the shells split, 15-20 minutes. Cool to the touch. Remove and discard the shells and inner brown skin.
- In a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the shallot and garlic and saute, stirring frequently, until the spinach wilts, about 5 minutes. Add the pepper and chestnuts and saute until the chestnuts are warm, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide among 4 individual plates.
Chestnuts are lower in fat than many counterparts in the nut family. Roasting brings out their flavor, while softening their texture. Toss chestnuts into your favorite salads, rick and pasta dishes for added protein and flavor.
One Response to “Spinach and Roasted Chestnuts”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.